Fun hypothetical -- single 4th job skill

Renith

May 9, 2019
Here's a wild idea -- since 4th job brings about a lot of problems and this server's original direction was pretty much not to have it, what if as a way to balance out some of the classes (and add a bit of spice to the game), they added a single 4th job skill to each class' arsenal? The skills would be chosen with the class' current power budget in mind. It would be something like:

Crusader: brandish
White knight: rush/heaven's hammer
DK: berserk

Ranger: hurricane/sharp eyes
Sniper : snipe

Priest: resurrection/angel ray
I/L mage: chain lightning
F/P: Mist eruption (?)

Hermit: Ninja storm
CB: backstep blow

These are just my initial thoughts, and it's a pretty out-there idea. If you like it, feel free to discuss and/or add to the idea! I don't think it would realistically ever happen because it deviates so much from the vision of OSM (which seems to be to stay as true as possible to the oldschool experience). Still, fun to think about. I know they've said they could add stuff based on community vote down the line, so I guess if this was popular enough it could take off.

Dec 4, 2018
Once I had a similiar idea for balanced 4th job with only 3 skills

Mages:

Bishop skills - Angel ray, Bahamut and Ressurection
I/L arch mage skills - Chain lightnging , Ice Demon, Ifrit
F/P arch mage skills - Elquines, Paralyeze, Fire demon

Archers:

Bowmaster skills - Sharp eyes, Hurricane, Dragon's breath
Marksman skills - Sharp eyes, Dragon's breath, Concentrate (for making higher damage against bosses with starfe)

Theieves :

Night lord skills - Venomous star, Ninja storm, Triple Throw
Shadower skills - boomerang step, assassinate (taking dark sight off or making it faster), Taunt

Warriors:

Hero skills - Power stance, Advanced combo attack,
Brandish (only if making axes stronger so axe fighter will be a thing, if not, brandish makes the 3:2 slash stab ratio like 1:1....) OR Enrage

Paladin skills - Holy charge, Advanced charge,
Heaven's hanmer

Dark knight skills - Rush, Berserk (with hp less than 70%) , Beholder

I believe it will make the late-game be meaningful
I love the nostalgia and 3rd job idea, but being realistic we need more contact to make people keep playing, I am against wizet and nexon 4th job and all rest of v40+ contact BUT if we can take the good stuff from it and custom it to old maple style, it will be awsome
Like leafre and balanced HT, new scrolls (NO white or chaos, even dark scrolls should be forbidden, but shield attack, gloves, earring, helmet, top and bottom scrolls should be added), accessories, crystal ilbi and more

Willarddog

Dec 2, 2018
Maybe if it wasn't game breaking powerful

Do warriors: Rush
Bowmen: SE
Mages: single target skill
Rogues: venem? helps in single target DPS while not being over powered.

Dec 4, 2018
Maybe if it wasn't game breaking powerful
Do warriors: Rush
Bowmen: SE
Mages: single target skill
Rogues: venem? helps in single target DPS while not being over powered.
Rouges single dps should be highest cuz of hard time they got with many mobs
I think each job need other skill*S* so u won't hurt their mechinic and gameplay
each job got and will have its own balance

only thing i think, if u go for such thing make it at lv 130-140
and only when u got new bosses and train areas for lvl 140+

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019
After talking with a lot of people in the server, the biggest concern in turning into a leech-fest with 4th job mages. That’s really where the 4th job backlash ends.

As far as I’m concerned there could be 4th job, with a nerf to either leeching somehow or no map attacks.

I think you have to either do only ONE skill, or all of them honestly. Picking, choosing, and tweaking won’t do.

Cameron

Donor
Intern
Jun 4, 2019
California
Eh, I'm not huge on incorporating custom content, especially if it relates to 4th job. OSM is a strictly third job server (as it stands currently). Currently, there's no need for 4th job as a whole or even one skill; there's just not enough higher level content that warrants it. Once we reach v39, we'll have a discussion with the community and vote on potential custom content that can be added, but for now, we're trying to closely follow the route of the original GMS content.